Tuesday, February 2, 2010

No Such Thing

There are stories told, even in trail times. There are stories that memas and old men tell, in front of drum fires as the frailliyah and the overlords and the wont women sleep. These are stories of the world and all things, and that the came before and will come after. These are stories that Nyame, The Father-Sky, passed down to Yambe who was the wind, whose stories were stolen by the raven and brought down to Babitamba who was the rock and who gave them to the First, who some call Ani and others called the Mamibushuu. This is a story of the world and how it came to be:

The Mother Yamai, who was Earth and wife to the sky, was barren and nothing live upon her and she wanted for children of her own. But Nyame, who eye sees all, would not allow her to give children. He would look down and he would burn them with his eye, and so the world was without life. One day, The Mother Yamai went to Nyame and said “Sky, I want children “
“No “said Nyame.
“ Sky “said The Mother Yamai “Give me a child “
“No “said Nyame

“Sky “said The Mother Yamai “Give me a child, right now. “
“No” said Nyame “A thousand times no”
And The Mother Yamai finally fell silence and said nothing more. A year passed and The Mother Yamai did not move, did not stir, did not turn.
“ Wife “ said Nyame “ Why do you stay so still? “
And two years passed and The Mother Yamai did not move, did not stir, did not turn.
“ Wife “ said Nyame “ Why do you not turn and face me? Wife? Why do you stay so still? “
And a decade passed and The Mother remained still.
“Wife “ said Nyame “ Why do you not speak to me? Are you sick? Are you ill? Are you dead? “
And The Mother Yamai still did not move.
A pall fell over Nyame and he began to cry, for he thought his wife dead and gone.
“ My wife, my wife! “ He cried and his tears fell and became the rain.
“ My wife, my wife! “ He howled and his cries became the wind.
“ My wife, my wife! “ He gnashed his teeth and they became the rock.
“ My wife, my wife! “ He scraped his skin and they became the wood
And finally The Mother Yamai spoke and said “ My husband! My husband! I love you so! “
And Nyame, who was covered his eye when he cried, opened it and saw the wonders of the world and the life that teemed upon it.
“ My wife! My wife! “ He said “ I thought you dead and gone!”
“ No, my husband! No! I am here, alive and well. You brought me children and you brought me life! “
And he did, for the sea was born and the wind was born and the rock was born and the wood was born.
And for a while they were happy.

No comments:

Post a Comment