Friday, October 7, 2016

Hold You


This story is based on a dream I had about a year ago. 

***

Hold You

With heart pounding, he tries to shake off the dream, but the room is so dark that he can't slow it down. He feels her roll over. He feels the familiar weight of her head on his chest.
"Are you okay?" She says and he can hear the sleep in her voice.

"Nothing." He says and then "I had a bad dream."

He feels her thigh rise up and lays across the bottom of his stomach. When she moves, trying to find a comfortable place on his sternum to rest her cheek, her hair grazes his skin. He wraps his arm around her, lays his hand on the top of her head. His eyes are open now. He is wide awake. 

They are quiet for a while and then she surprises him with "What happened in the dream?"

He stares out at the dark, but he's not looking at the dark, because he is trying to remember the dream.

"I had a dream that I was a bed and you came in, but it wasn't you. It was someone else who looked like you. I knew that in the way you know things in dreams. I just knew that she wasn't you. I couldn't see her face because she kept her head down, and her hair was so long that I couldn't see passed it. 
She climbed on me. She sat on my chest and I felt her hands come up the sides of my face. I knew if I looked her in the eyes, I would die. I tried to close my eyes, but she held them open by pushing my eye lids open with her thumbs. I tried to shake her off, but she was so heavy. I tried to scream, but I couldn't open my mouth. I just laid there as she held my eyes open and lifted her head." 

When he finishes, he feels the fear anew, like he is having the dream again. He takes comfort only in the feel of her. He is secured in the knowledge that she's the real thing. 

The lights turn on. "Babe", says his girlfriend from the door, glass of water held shakily. "Who in our bed?" 

No comments:

Post a Comment